Monday, January 12, 2009

Schedules and Lists



As I have said before, I am not a list maker by nature. I usually go with the flow or fly by the seat of my pants. Needless to say, I drive my very structured husband crazy.

One of my New Year's goals was to really sit down and work on a schedule in order to create some peace in our household. It's not uncommon to see us running frantic around our house before we go somewhere, due to my lack of planning. I know my husband needs a good plan, and it's my goal to come up with a workable one!

So far, I have created a weekly list. This includes my work schedule, weekly Bible studies and Eric's sound schedule at church. I also keep spaces open for any events (birthdays, parties, potlucks) that come up. I include a space on each day of the week to write what I need to bring to an event. For instance, I have a lunch after my Bible study tomorrow and I have signed up to bring a pasta salad. I put that in there so I know in advance I need to add the ingredients to the pasta salad to my grocery list.

I also have a monthly calender where I just write a brief note on each day. Then I can look to my weekly schedule for a more detailed plan of what's going on. This way I have an overview of what's going on in the month.

At this time, I'm still working on a daily schedule. Every day is different for me, so I am trying to figure out the timing of things. So far I've got that I wake up around 5:30 every morning and I go to bed around 9:30 every evening. I'm still working on the stuff in the middle.

On top of my daily, weekly and monthly schedule, I'm also working on a cleaning schedule. I'm trying to break my cleaning into smaller jobs that I can do a little every night, instead of all day on a Saturday. I'm hoping to get this done by next week.

So there you have it. This is my first jump into an organized life. I'm hoping that this all becomes second nature.



2 comments:

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

I was never a list maker either, until I had my son. Some days now I just feel completely brainless.

I'll do things like put a bag of stuff by the door that I need to take somewhere, so that I won't forget it. And I STILL forget it. UGH.

I'm not a planner either, and like you all, my husband is.

I should buy a calendar too!

HEEEE.... I just saw you have Cake Wrecks on your blog love list. Is that not a hoot? I just hope never to find mine or my mom's on there, lol!

The Ramblin' Rat said...

I'm still working on the list thing. I think about making lists, but rarely put it to action.

I don't know how many times I put things either by the door, or even in my car and still forget about it.