Monday, March 19, 2007

Catching Up

Well, you hear nothing from me for a couple weeks, and here I am posting twice in one day! I thought I would also catch up on our lives in these past couple weeks. It's nothing too important, but I'm bored.

The weekend before last, Eric and I went down to Orange County to stay with my cousin's kids while Tom and Lisa were gallivanting in Las Vegas. Every year, my brother and a bunch of people go to Vegas to go to the NASCAR race. The girls go shopping and hang out while the guys go to the race. Since Eric and I are usually broke, we don't go and we stay home, but this year, Tom and Lisa asked us to watch Katie and Maggie for them while they were gone. We said yes, so we packed up for the weekend and stayed with the girls for three days. It's really not baby sitting since they aren't babies (they are 11 and 13) and they can pretty much take care of themselves. We were there to make sure they didn't burn the house down and we were able to spend some time doing fun things like playing Dance Dance Revolution (I am awful at that game) and we went to my most favorite place in the whole wide world, Disneyland!!! Those of you that don't know me, have no clue of my love the the land of Mickey Mouse. It's all pretty much the fault of said cousins, Tom and his wife Lisa.

Tom and his brother Mike have worked at Disneyland since they were 16. I believe they started out as parade people (One of them was one of the three little pigs, if I remember correctly.) Since they both worked for Disneyland, my parents got us season passes (that's when it was cheap to go) and we would go all. the. time. I was practically raised there. My cousins would tell their friends that I was going to be at the park (I was about 4 or 5 at the time) and their friends would pay special attention to me. I really thought Disneyland was MINE! As Tom and Mike got older, they were able to sign people into the park for free. Tom also got married to Lisa (who also worked at Disneyland) and our many trips to the happiest place on Earth continued. So many of my BEST memories are at Disneyland and I feel like a kid again when I'm there. In fact, Eric and I spent our honeymoon there because I love it THAT much. Now Eric and I have season passes and we try to go as often as possible. It's not nearly enough for this Disney freak, but it's good enough.

Lisa was able to get free passes for the girls to go to Disneyland on Saturday and Eric and I used our season passes and we set off to the park. It wasn't too awfully crowded (it's been worse!) and we spent the day going on rides, eating and watching the amazing fireworks display (seriously, the latest edition of the fireworks are the BEST Disneyland fireworks ever) We all had a blast. It's so amazing to see both my little cousins be so grown up. I remember when they were born and here they are now, so grown up and really fun to hang out with. They are both smart young women. I look forward to seeing the women they become.

Sunday both the girls had something going on with their church so Eric and I ran some errands while the girls were out. That evening we played had dinner and played Mexican Train before the girls went to bed. The next day Tom and Lisa came home and Eric and I left to go back to our own place. We had a great weekend and enjoyed spending time with Katie and Maggie.

When we got home, I went to unload the dishwasher and noticed the dishes were still dirty. I also noticed that the dishwasher didn't drain and there was water left in the bottom of the dishwasher (thank the Lord that it didn't leak into the kitchen!). Eric inspected it and thought there was just a clog. I freaked out because I couldn't live without my dishwasher (yes, I'm spoiled and I like it that way!)

The next day, one of our co-workers came over to look at it and realized a motor had been burned out. We needed a new dishwasher. I was sitting on the couch as this was all happening because I wasn't feeling so hot. Eric came over to me to tell me the news of the dishwasher. We had some money set aside for a new water heater and I told Eric I would rather take a cold shower than do dishes by hand (I REALLY hate doing the dishes). We don't really need a water heater at this moment so Eric agreed and he set about doing his research for the new dishwasher. Meanwhile, I went to bed because I thought I was going to pass out.

Wednesday I stayed home from work because I was so sick. I thought I was going to cough my lungs up. Eric came home and told me that our co-worker could get us a great deal on a new Kenmore dishwasher. I said great, let's buy it! So by Friday we had our new dishwasher. I was very happy. Eric spent a good part of the day on Saturday hooking it up and by that night, I was able to catch up on the three loads that were waiting for it (pathetic, I know).

So that's about it for us. Nothing too exciting but it's been enough to keep us busy. This weekend we are going to our church's couple's retreat and I am really looking forward to it.

No comments: