Friday, February 2, 2007

Showing Love




I know it's a little bit early for a Valentines Day post, however I will be out of town on Valentines Day and I read something this morning that makes me go "hmmmmm", so I thought I would post about this today. Note that I'm not the best of writers. I just post what's on my mind. Grammar and spelling are not my strong points.

Moving on...

While we were driving to work today, we passed a flower shop. The billboard above the flower shop read "express your love by buying roses!" Now, I know that Valentines Day is a day for flowers and chocolates and all things lovey dovey, however, There are other ways to express ones love for another, other than buying roses. Don't get me wrong, I love roses as much as the next girl, however it's not a necessity for my husband to "express his love" just by buying my overpriced flowers that are going to die (or be eaten by our cats) in just a few short days. There are many other ways he expresses his love. The main one is by him telling me he loves me. Just by that, I have a pretty good reason to believe him. I don't need flowers to back his claim up. He also shows his love by being patient with me when I have a "Lucy moment" (you know the show, I Love Lucy, where she does something stupid and Ricky gets upset, yeah well, I do that too and Eric can get upset, he just doesn't ramble in Spanish like Ricky did.) There are other ways Eric shows his love for me, I just don't have time to count them all. I just know that he doesn't have to express his love, just by buying me roses.

There is another love that is expressed to all of us that also doesn't require roses. That is the love of God. God assures us of his love all throughout His word and the more I read His word, the more I know of his unconditional love towards all of those who believe in Him. We don't need roses from Him to realize that (although God has made some pretty nice flowers for all of us to enjoy).

God ultimately showed His love for us, the day he sent His son, Jesus Christ, to this Earth to die for our sins. Just like Romans 5:8 says "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

After reading that, who needs roses?

No comments: