Monday, August 27, 2007

Domestic "Stuff"

I don't know if it's because I have been reading some really uplifting home keeping blogs or what, but I've really been in the domestic mood lately! I even cooked a meal from scratch, people! My house it still a bit messy (I'm working on that) but dang did we eat well over the weekend.

Friday we, along with my parents, went down to my grandmother's old apartment to pick up my China and China hutch. It has been my grandmother's wish that I get her China when she passes away. She hasn't passed away yet (I think we still have a few good years left with her) but she has moved to a really nice assisted living facility and there is no room for her China hutch, so she told me to come pick it up! While we were down visiting her in Westminster, we took her to dinner at the Claim Jumper (Yum!) and went back to her new place to visit. We had such a wonderful time and I think Grandma is finally getting used to her new place. It really is a whole lot nicer than her old apartment.

I meant to take a before picture of the hutch, but I forgot and now, after spending 2 hours cleaning the lower portion of the hutch, I found out I'm going to have to re-finish the whole thing. Cleaning it took off the original finish and now it's almost down to bear wood. I have never, ever re-finished a piece of furniture before so I'm counting on my husband's fabulous internet research to figure this out for us.

Anyway, I was able to get a picture of all the China and the other numerous pieces that she has given me. This is all of it stacked nicely on me new( to me) kitchen table:




























Here is a close-up:















I don't know if you can see the detail, but it's just beautiful. It's white china with a white lacy pattern on the rim. It's from a company called Fashion Manor and the print is called "Lady Elegant". Isn't that a pretty name?

Since I had this beautiful China, I figured I had to get some use out of it, so Saturday night I made oven friend chicken from this recipe:http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1726,135176-250193,00.html
and I made biscuits from scratch from this recipe: http://thesparrowsnest.typepad.com/the_sparrows_nest/2007/01/biscuit_making_.html

The biscuits came out thinner than they should have been, but they tasted delicious. Next time I won't roll the dough out so thin. Just to make you hungry, and to show off my new China, I took some pictures of this fantastic dinner.

























































Another thing I received from Grandma was her box of recipes and recipe books. Eric and I went through it together and we found a carrot cake recipe in there. Eric's favorite cake is carrot cake and since yesterday was his birthday, I thought I would make it for him. It turned out really good and when I can remember, I will post the recipe.





























So that was my weekend of being domestic. I told Eric not to get too used to it.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

And you say you can't cook? It looks delicious! And what a table to serve it on! Ha Ha

See you next weekend!

Your Awesome Cousin

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend. I'm glad your Grandmother is getting used to her assisted living place. My MIL never did make any effort to like it and it made everyone miserable! That's lovely that you received her china cabinet and all that lovely china. When you visit her she can enjoy hearing about how your using it. There are lots of resources for refinished furniture. Are you going to paint it or try to stain it I wonder?

Your dinner looks yummy!

Manuela

The Ramblin' Rat said...

Thanks Lisa! My totally awesome cousins gave that to us. It's so much better than that wobbly old table we had.

Manuela, we are going to stain it to try to match up to the original wood color. I wouldn't mind trying to make it a distressed white, but my husband thinks it's a crime to paint real wood.

Kyla Jean said...

I love your china!! I love dishes and china, espcially ones that have meaning and a story. I didn't even register for any when I got married b/c I got a set from both grandmothers. Have fun refinishing the hutch. Refinishing furniture is one my favorite hobbies. I can't wait to see the pic when you are done!